In many industrial processes there exists an explosion risk due to the use of dusts/powders, gases and inflammable liquids or because of the generation of such substances during a process.
The operator/manufacturer shall evaluate the risk of explosion and determine and implement adequate measures of explosion protection. For this a profound knowledge of the processes and the substances involved is needed and, in many cases, also of the applicable standards and directives.
DEKRA EXAM provides technical safety in the fields related to explosion protection. Here, we offer customised solutions for planners and operators of plants as well as for manufacturers of equipment, public authorities and insurance companies on the basis of the expert knowledge and competence that we have been accumulating over decades. As your flexible partner DEKRA EXAM delivers professional and applicatory solutions to all problems that can occur in connection with preventive and constructive explosion protection.
Evaluation and examination of explosion protection concepts on
- Planning of new installations
- Acceptance tests
- Modification and extension of plants for chemical and pharmaceutical industries, for energy producers, for the steel and automotive industries, for foods and animal feed industries as well as for waste management enterprises etc.
Consulting and support during implementation of the national adaptation of Directive 1999/92/EC
- Explosion protection document
- Risk assessment
- Evaluation and determination of preventive measures, such as e.g. inertisation, ventilation and monitoring equipment
- Zone classification (classification of the hazardous areas in which explosive atmospheres by gases, vapour, mists or dusts may occur)
- Evaluation of possible ignition sources caused by the equipment used and/or the process itself
- Determination of the measures necessary to mitigate harmful effects of an explosion, such as e.g. explosion venting, explosion suppression and explosion isolation
Inspections according to Directive 1999/92/EC
- Inspections before the first use of workplaces accommodating areas where explosive atmospheres may occur (verification of overall explosion safety)
- Regular inspections of workplaces subject to risk of explosion
Analysis and Examination
- Determination of the safety-relevant parameters of dusts
- Analysis and examination of the electrostatic properties of substances
- Measuring of electrostatic properties in service
- Measuring of gas concentrations as well as of flow rates in service
- Testing of the pressure rating and effectiveness against flame propagation by means of explosion tests in linear scale
- Simulation of dust and gas explosion in industrial installations
- Simulation of the mechanical loads on vessels and equipment caused by pressure shock waves
- Effects of pressure shock waves caused by explosions in the surroundings of industrial installations
- Emission and immission caused by industrial installations
- Propagation of temperatures and smoke in case of fire
- Expert’s opinions (investigation of the causes, determination of the protection measures necessary)
- Practical advice to assure a safe and fast re-start of the affected installation
- Technical assistance for litigations